Monday, February 16, 2015

Adventures in college tennis

This past weekend was a busy one for your favorite tennis blogger (me). For those unaware (i.e., who don't follow me on Twitter), I was covering the ITA National Men's Indoor Championships for Zoo Tennis.


Here are the lengthy reports I posted for each day:

Day 1: Drama on Day One of ITA Men's Team Indoor
Day 2: Baylor Upsets Virginia, Defending Champion Ohio State Falls
Day 3: Southern Cal, Oklahoma Will Decide Another National Team Title
Day 4: Oklahoma Wins First National Team Championship

I also have more than 300 photos posted in an album on the brand-new On the Rise Facebook page! There are videos as well. (Please like us. We like being liked.)


I have a number of interviews still to be transcribed and will have excerpts posted in the coming days. I'll also be posting some thoughts about what I learned.

One thing I'll say is that college tennis is a uniquely engaging experience and a tournament of this type is something every tennis fan should treat themselves to if they can. It's a different kind of tennis but still very high level of play. Many of these guys will be duking it out in futures, challengers, and ATP tournaments in the coming years.

My thanks to Colette Lewis at Zoo Tennis for the experience, and to the teams at ITA and Midtown Athletic Club for making my job doable. Thanks as well to the coaches and players who made themselves available for interviews that were unfailingly polite and insightful.

In the immortal words of Phil Hartman's character on NewsRadio, "Good times, good times."

No comments:

Post a Comment